All booked for your Detox Retreat at Villa Gaia in Bali? Well done! We’ve got you covered on the healthiest, simplest and most effective way to prepare for your cleanse.
- Slow down and start to cut out processed foods, refined sugar, fried food, wheat, red meat, smoked cured meat and dairy, preservatives, alcohol, salty foods, additives, tobacco and caffeine. Clear your kitchen cupboards and fridge of foods, which might tempt you.
- To stave off common detox reactions such as headache and nausea, try phasing out caffeine, sugar, processed foods, and artificial sweeteners in the days leading up to your detox diet. If you’re not ready to give up caffeine altogether, switch to lower-caffeine drinks like green tea, white tea, or matcha.
- Begin shopping for the right foods. Stock up on fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Add cooked chickpeas, avocado, brown rice, extra-virgin olive oil and other foods rich in protein, fiber, and fat.
- A perfect meal might include a large portobello mushroom cap brushed lightly with olive oil and baked. Mushroom is packed with potassium which helps regulate muscle and nerve functions as well as maintaining a healthy balance of fluids in the body.It also mimics meaty-texture as a great alternative to cutting back on meat.
- Try to make one vegetarian meal a day completely ‘raw’ (uncooked). Spiralized Zucchini noodles with chopped tomato and fresh delicious basil pesto such as this recipe is a great idea.
- Get your body used to drinking a glass of warm, filtered water with lemon first thing, which kick-starts digestion and aids your immune system. Pureed vegetable soups in the evening are great ways to add more veggies in your diet while filling you up.
- Start to eat consciously. Learn to chew each spoonful until the food is liquid, this also aids digestion.
- Drink two liters of water a day, but remember not to drink during meal times as this impairs digestion. Our kidneys are fantastic waste removers. They get rid of the waste products from protein metabolism — uric acid, urea and lactic acid — but they need lots of water to accomplish this. Because we excrete 10 cups of water a day just by sweating, urinating and breathing, we recommend consuming no fewer than 10 glasses of water and juices daily.
- Exercise. Physical activity boosts circulation and, in turn, helps your body to eliminate toxins. You might try going for a walk during your lunch break, for instance, or taking part in a gentle hatha yoga class.
- Dry skin brushing. The lymphatic system is the metabolic garbage can of the body. It rids you of toxins such as dead and cancerous cells, nitrogenous wastes, fat, infectious viruses and heavy metals. The lymphatic system does not have its own pump. It has no heart muscle to move the fluid around through its lymph vessels. Dry skin brushing stimulates the lymphatic system and aids in removing toxins. It also exfoliates your skin and clears pores, allowing your skin to ‘breathe’.
- Set the time of cleansing as a gift to yourself and as an investment in your health and wellbeing. Create a pleasant environment and remove all mess and clutter from around your home, and or go somewhere that is peaceful, natural and quite where you can connect to yourself, nature and your surroundings.
- Remove all negative external stimulants such as:
- Switch off electrical information devices like your phone, computer and television
- Don’t listen to loud or aggressive music
- Avoid reading the newspaper, tabloids or magazines
- Rise with the sun and go to bed soon after it sets
Suggestions to do instead:
- Read books, listen classical or ambient music
- Enjoy time with nature
- Do some light exercise such as yoga, swimming or walking
- Practice meditation and deep breathing exercises
- Get a massage treatment
Some great ideas to implement as well can be found – here
Your retreat program at Gaia Retreat Center has been devised to curb hunger pangs (smartly) and a set of treatments to keep you busy (therapeutically) as well as a stack of good reads to curl up and sooth your mind, pool time, health and wellness documentaries to watch in the evening.
Visit www.gaiaretreatcenter.com for more details on how to book into our Signature Detox and Yoga Retreat in Ubud, Bali